Monday, August 6, 2012

I've Got A Bike


Inspired by the Olympics and looking ahead to turning double nickels (55), I decided to take my bike out of the garage, dust it off, and start riding it. I go out just about every night and make the trip around my contained housing development. No traffic to worry about. However, last night, I felt the urge to take it to the next level. A new frontier. The great wide open. The main road. I rode about three blocks in the designated bike lane. Now if you are not familiar with this concept, it's a special lane for bike riders. It even has a little drawing of a stick figure riding a bike in the lane so you and the drivers know where the bikes belong. However the drivers in my area don't seem to pay much attention to the bike lane.  Many think it's just a pre-entry into the turning lane. In the short three block journey, I almost got killed four times. It seems this so called designated bike lane is there for drivers to take aim at the cyclists. All I kept thinking was, next to one of these drawings of a stick figure riding a bike, will be a chalk outline of me, next to a chalk outline of my broken bicycle. Tonight, I will return to riding around in the confinement of my neighborhood and forget exploring the outside world for now. I may not be thrilled about hitting double nickels, but I would like to see two quarters, a nickel and a penny.

Daily Theme Song:
Pink Floyd - Bike http://youtu.be/SmW17QvUhRM

No comments:

Post a Comment