Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Memories Are Made Of This

It's hard to find a telephone poll without some kind of advertisement for a local yard sale, garage sale or tag sale. Bargain hunting hits a new low when you shop in somebody's driveway for their old garbage. I have gone to a few in search of something unique. I found some old LP records and a few odd buttons, but nothing that said "jackpot." One thing I have noticed at these yard sales is the abundance of children's toys for sale. It's like a Toys R Us graveyard. I went to one where a teenage girl, who apparently lived there, was actually playing with the toys for sale. This got me thinking. These are not old broken toys for sale. These are her memories. What I wouldn't give for my James Bond Attache case, Lincoln Logs, GI Joe or baseball card collection. I bet I had Honus Wagner in there. Maybe not, but it wouldn't matter if these items were jackpots at the local pawn shop. They would bring back memories of my childhood. Many times I have seen vintage candy and it brings me right back to running to the corner candy store in Brooklyn. Sylvia's was the name of it. Stopping to look at the toy cars in the display window on my way to buy wax lips and a Yoo-Hoo and a pack of L&M cigarettes for my Dad. Now those were the days and I would pay at least 2 bucks for any of those items if I could find them. Think about this as you are setting up your yard sale this weekend. Don't sell memories. Sell tools, fishing rods and guns. That's what most people are looking for at these things anyway.

Daily Theme Song:Dean Martin - Memories Are Made Of This http://youtu.be/mv9PSkNkUfs

No comments:

Post a Comment