Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Strip

The strip mall is a familiar sight in suburbia. It is also an indication of the state of the economy at any point in time. Forget the Gross National Product and the Consumer Price Index. I bet the economic health of any town is statistically tied to the the number of stores closed in any strip mall. The big box stores (Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) is often the blame. Politicians failed policies is always at the top of the hit list. However, did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, those places were just poorly run establishments with overpriced merchandise and bad customer service? I can think of quite a few places I have been in that fall into that category. Although in some cases, it doesn't apply. How come I hardly see Chinese take-out places go under. No matter how run down they get, they stay in business. I refuse to get Chinese take-out in the summer if I see the front door open. That means they have no air conditioning and a million flies on the Egg Foo Young. No thank you. Also, doctors offices never seem to fail. No matter how nasty those receptionists are or how long they make you wait for a non-answer to your medical problem, they never close. So if there is a town out there in suburbia with strip malls filled with Chinese take-out places and Doctor's offices, their economy will always be booming. I bet there are a few of those in Florida, in between the Hospitals, Churches and cemeteries. I was driving with my Dad in Florida and he pointed out to me "watch this...Doctor's office, Church, Cemetery, Medical Center, church, fuenral parlor. People get sick, pray and die in Florida."  We stopped for Chinese food. The door was closed. They weren't out of business. They had air conditioning. I ordered the Egg Foo Young.

Daily Theme Song:
Adam Ant - Strip http://youtu.be/_Z7fV-wB2z8

No comments:

Post a Comment