Monday, August 13, 2012

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Over the last 6 years or so, I have been trying to figure out a way to become a full time comedian. Unfortunately, it's not a job that offers security or enough money to pay the mortgage, health insurance and eat. Hence, the day job continues for a few more years. I am fortunate to have a very good day job in a company close to home that is very nice to work for. I do a good job, in between writing blogs. Before you judge me too harshly, I write these in the off hours and schedule them to hit everyday. I am proud to say I am about 6 days ahead. However, working in an office for over 30 years of my life has forced me to become a little bitter towards the not so friendly environment. It's a constant search for someone to blame. Mistakes happen. We are not robots. Accepting responsibility for our mistakes is never easy. We look for someone or something to blame. The computer is a big one. Blaming co-workers is more common. I have been in countless meetings to search for the errors and it usually turns into a "who do we blame" session. I think we should issue a giant orange finger that is seen at Sports games (the Number One finger) and just point it at the culprit. It's YOUR fault. Then everyone gets to line up and slap that person in the face. These blame sessions never really focus on solving anything. All it really does is make a whole bunch of people feel better and one person feel really bad. I must admit that when I make a mistake I just come right out and say it. "It was me, I did it. I am sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. I plead insanity. It will never happen again" It cuts out all the wasted time spent trying to get out of it. I find that when I come right out and say it, somehow I gain a bit of respect. I usually get a look that says "wow, he just admitted to it. I would never do that. Now it seems pointless to beat him senselessly." Of course that only lasts until the next mistake.

Daily Theme Song:
Led Zeppelin - Nobody's Fault But Mine http://youtu.be/hZibgdi7hXY

1 comment:

  1. I think the "blame game" has exploded because for the past 30 or so years, people have been afraid for their jobs. If the other guy or gal is to blame, when the hatchet swings, then the "blamer" may be spared. Part of the problem lies with HR. Rather than encourage responsibility, a key element of leadership, they encourage a culture of rats and lemmings. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete